Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Family Tree..

I saw my family tree a few months ago.. well, it may as well be anyone's family tree as no one in my direct family were in it! SMDH

So you know the story - big family, loads of tension - shit happened - and since we were born we have never been acknowledged. I mean, to ignore us when you have published a book on Ghelani's and act as if we do not exist does not make us go away.
Does it stop my blood from running? Does it change the fact that I am my fathers daughter? Does it make me doubt who I am? Nope.

But it got me thinking about family. They say you can choose your friends but you cannot choose your family. It is a sad state of affairs though that families can go against one another in an instant. How come blood is thicker than water, yet blood are the first to rejoice (albeit quietly) when you have a downfall?
You see it all over the place - brothers fall out when they have made their millions, or some scenario (more often than not it is about money) never to speak to one another again. Their kids refuse to talk to one another yet when they were younger they could not do anything without one another.

Where is it that there is real unity? When there is good upbringing. When there is no preference over children as they are growing up. When the respect shown to the family is not a façade and instead instilled. When no person feels that they are lacking or will be left behind because they know that their siblings would do anything for them and they have 100 per cent trust in them.
When does the trouble start? When weak individuals start buying into hearsay, gossip and the like. When there is no communication.

I have to say that family are our best teachers, but as a wife and mother - my view has shifted. I believe that it is upon me to ensure that my family are a unit irrespective of what happens. That if my husband has a close relationship with his brother, I am no one to try and stop that or break it. That if my daughter heard something malicious being said about her family she would have the courage to confront us and know that she would be given the truth as an explanation.

We can change our children if we change our ways. We can stop humans from being nasty and bitter because the next generation lie in our hands to mold. We can change people from hurting others, even their own if we teach our children prayer, respect, tolerance and to be good.  Then family would not only be those we know by blood but everyone we meet would be part of one large family tree.

Think about it - think pink

Pinky



 

No comments: