Thursday, November 25, 2010

C for Celebration





So here I am, 8 weeks post delivery (of my very beautiful baby girl - Ariyana) and I am looking at my scar from the C-section wondering when it will disappear. I never wanted to have a C, but it just ended up like that - and I think my bubba was super impatient to meet the world! It is amazing how 8 weeks have just flown by, I remember her birth date like it was yesterday. I have to say, until you become a mother, no one telling you what a great feeling it is can make you feel the way it feels. She has now reached this stage where she is recognising faces and responding to noises and her smile, bless her, melts our hearts. Of course, all moms would say that about their own bundles of joy, but it's true, there is nothing like a smile from this little being who looks at you, recognises you, and flashes you her gums (sans the pearly whites).




Back to this 'scar' - I have keloid skin, which means that when I scar, the skin hardens and raises above the rest of the skin. Basically, it is a scar that never goes. Before I went in for my C I had explained to the doctor and he prescribed something called contractubex. I have been applying that religiously since I came home from the hospital, combined with bio oil. Let's see how, if and when this scar goes. Mind you, bio oil kept those stretch marks at bay - totally, not seen one since delivery, phew!




I have spoken to many people about delivery, some say that they would rather go the natural way, although it was my first option, in retrospect, I would not have done it any other way! Yes, there is pain, yes there is discomfort, but everything is managed. For my next baby I am going to have an elective C. I have a gal pal, Rakhee, she is so straight about these things. She says, an I quote "I am no mother naturelle", she chooses how she will deliver and when. Makes sense, especially in this day an age where us women like to plan everything and their schedules, it beats waiting for labor or even trying to induce labor - I tried castor oil, walking and bouncing on a medicine ball! If anything is painful, it is waiting for labor, that is if you are impatient like I am. Each to their own, though, every woman is different, everyone has a different pain threshold and patience.




When I first found out I was pregnant, I wanted to do the celeb thing and have a C. Then I read up on it and opted to push. The healing is faster, the uterus contracts faster, there are no scars or in my case keliods, there is not much medication (depending on if you opt for a pain killer) and I honestly thought I could push! I never had the nightmares about being in labor, but from every woman who has delivered naturally I have heard that the pain is like nothing else in the world. But they say man proposes, God disposes. Also the doctors in this country seem to like it when you choose to go the C way.. I wonder why? Nudge nudge, wink wink!




Nonetheless, C or no C, I now see that it all worked out for the best. We have a beautiful baby girl and we have so much to be grateful for!

10 comments:

STYLE'N said...

congrats. you both look so beautiful!!! cannot wait to meet your little Ariyana.

mrsmwiti said...

Congratulations & welcome to blog world :)

Unknown said...

Camphor Cream helps heal the scar

Unknown said...

wow, pinky, congrats!! The C thingy is becoming quite common, I wonder why, I also got it, it healed quite fast but the scar is still there, I will take the advice of the Bio oil n Camphor....am getting another C in mid March, so help me God....n am done!!! I love the name Ariyana, can u chose a baby gal name for me, has to start with an M..:-)

Mutemi wa Kiama said...

Mmmh! Glad to hear you are already planning for you next one! Congrats to you and Raj on Ariyana.

Unknown said...

Jen..I love the name Mahi (it is very indian, but means beautiful) or Mia?

Agalomba said...

Congratulations Pinky. Natural birth is overrated,my little girl is now 6months and i can still vividly remember everything. I tried to induce my labour but by good luck both me and my sister in law were preggers at the same time and she was due before me.After she induced herself after passing her due date with 3weeks she finally got in labour went all natural and ended up in a coma for over 24hrs after having the baby,i was ready for anything too bad C-section is never reccomended in Europe except when there's a complication (Believe my my friend stayed in for 10hrs when they realised she wasn't going to dilate that's when they rushed her for C-section ) I had a talk with my OB if i missed my 1st due date i was going to be induced and that day when i was induced my epidural wasn't ready yet i screamt my head off bite my husband and couldn't stop pressing the 'call for a nurse'button. ................The process was agonising + episiotomy is mandatory so i couldn't laugh for a week LOL which made me love my daughter even more but made me start doubting if a really want more than 1 kid.
She melts my heart when she wakes up smiling,she's now crawling at 6months,she's growing so fast she breaks my heart but makes me proud at the same time. Babies are a blessing,our house has been lively ever since she came into this world,the banging of toys and little happy screams. Mother hood is a joy. Congratulations again.

Unknown said...

Hey pinky...from the doctors point of view we all wish mothers deliverd naturally..but at times C is better especially if the pelvis is small,or the baby is big and lying in a wrong position.But once you start the section,we do give trial of scar meaning give u a chance to deliver naturally first.But this all depends what was the main reason for the C..
All the best for the next one and let me tell u a secret breasfeeding helps to loose weight as prolactin and oxytocin hormones increase and contract the uterus..
Cheers..Dr.Mandy

Unknown said...

Congratulations once again to you Raj and Princess Ariyana ..... she is surrounded with loving family and lots of caring friends all the best wishes for her always.

Shrek Mutwol said...

Congratz Pinky..... am happy for You, atleast my son Boyi has some homework to do!! Heheheheheheeheee.... Enjoy motherhood!!...Welcum to the World!!