Monday, January 10, 2011

OMG she's a celebrity!

It is pretty cool when I walk into a mall or the doctor's offices and I hear someone whisper my name and point toward me. It happened the other day when I took bubba to see her doc and I was taking the lift. Some guy in the lift said to me '...errr you look like Pinky Ghelani..' or when I took my husband to the hospital (sports injury, don't ask!) and sat next to someone who asked; 'are you Pinky?'
I have to admit, being recognised is fun, it is nice that people still remember me as Miss India Kenya even though I won that title ages ago, or some people say to me that they listen to my show (even though I left radio about 5 years ago). It makes me feel good that the brand is still alive!

I went out for lunch with my gal pals the other day; Nicole, Rakhee and Neehar. These are the girls I went to school with and Rakhee, as you know, and I have grown up together - we have a blog that we contribute to(stopormymamawillshoot.blogspot.com). They were teasing me about when I go to their homes and how their house help get excited to see me and they kept calling me a 'celebrity'. It was a good laugh, but to them I will always remain the goofy young one who they knew way before everyone else did.

But it made me think; what exactly defines a celebrity? I think it is someone who has achieved fame, is a celebrated individual for whatever reason but most importantly they are the ones who keep their feet firmly planted in the ground. I will tell you who is a celeb, in my books, my friends; Julie Gichuru - she is an achiever, she is up there in her career, she has met Obama and yet when she meets me in a mall she is still so nice to me and tells me that we go way back and that I can chat to her about career and motherhood anytime. Zain Verjee - she is the person who introduced me to Capital FM, the person who I email and she replies with so much enthusiasm and warmth. Jeff Koinange - he knows his stuff, he knows his people, he is super confident and is very down to earth. Kimberly Leonard - she read the news at Capital FM and is now a TV anchor in the UAE, she is still the same lovable nut that I know. Jimmy Gathu - he is the guy who inspired me to get into media - I loved him and I met him through his now wife, Cathy - he still has the same love for me and is always available for a chat.

There are so many friends of mine who are in this industry, but there are very few who are genuine. Some just want to get to know you because of where you are and how you can help them. The others are the same people that they were when we were all coming up together - not one thing has changed. Their names are household names, but the personalities are those that one admires and aspires to be like. Like I said, it is nice to be recognized. I am humbled that so many people know me, but sometimes I feel slightly embarrassed when am pointed at and called a celeb, not because I don't like it, but because I do not know how to react. Do I yank out my shaeffer pen from my very large mulberry bag and sign you an autograph - or do I get my bodyguards to hold you back as you try to get a glimpse of me amidst all the flashing cameras of the paparazzi or do I just smile and say 'what's up' or do I pretend I didn't hear you or see you and be apathetic to the fact that someone just saw me and that person knows me?

Whatever the reaction - all I can say is thank you for the constant support. If it wasn't for you then I would not be where I am, so I should actually stop you on the road, recognise you and get excited when I see you because, in my life, you are the biggest star!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG I just thought I would use the expression. Anyways I was and still am your biggest fan(though i saw on facebook someone else claiming to be) Thanks for sharing . I remember I once wrote to you while you were still at Capital FM and you wrote back (made me feel special) and I even sent u a request while I was here in the States and u played my song. You Rock Gal.