Thursday, February 9, 2012

Mumbai...Bye Bye

There's no place like home, there's no place like home...Just like Dorothy in with Wizard of Oz, this time when I went away, I heard myself saying that a lot. Strange how one changes. Before I was ready to up and move to Mumbai, I had even decorated my flat in my head and bought a car in my mind. Do not get me wrong, I still love the hustle and bustle and the vibe of the city of Mumbai but when I got home I was so in love with my country and my home and my dogs and everything about my home.

Although it was a bit scary to come back to stories of friends and even family being robbed or almost being robbed. People breaking in with knives and guns. The sad part was that some really amazing dogs had been killed by thugs (I am an animal lover), my heart broke for them! I don't understand it and is it ever going to get better?
I remember some of my conversations with my cousin, her husband and their friends in Mumbai were about 2012 and the end of the world. In the Bhagvad Gita and in other Holly Books, they talk about the end coming and us face dark ages. To me, this is all dark - greed, poverty, war, sickness, etc. But according to them this is just the beginning. Think of the worst of the worst happening - their example was the relationship so sacred - parent and child and think of that being turned into a romantic relationship and it being the norm - when that happens then the world will end. I was gobsmacked, I even felt a little bit ill and the word that came to mind was 'eeeeeeew'.

I think it is up to us to work toward being better people. We need to find out spiritual side and nurture it because only then will we take responsibility for the direction of our lives. Today lying is second nature to some people, they shrug their shoulders and just say what pleases them so that their lives are made easier. Some people even have the energy to sit and plan and plot on how to make others lives a misery. That is just sad, instead use that energy to better your own life. Where are we headed?

I talk like this today perhaps because I am a parent. I feel responsible for someone else's life and I want her future to be pretty. I also want her to be a good human being and not question herself when her friends are doing the complete opposite. We should all be headed down the same road and wanting more or less the same goals. We want to bring up good human beings because they will better this world. I don't want, in generations to come, my descendant to be sleeping with another one of my descendants! Yuk

The point I am making is this - if 2012 is  meant to be a year of change (or even the end) let us begin with changing ourselves and teaching our children the same.Also, let us build our home, our country. I want to be able to travel and say I am from Kenya with pride. I want good news to be the headlines. I want to be on holiday and have someone from back home call me with something amazing that has happened at home - because this is my home and I really need it to be a place I love and not fear.




No comments: