Monday, May 2, 2011

Ding Dong..wedding bells

I do enjoy my life, there is always something interesting going on. I am trying to juggle it, now with bubba getting older, I am able to do a lot more things work wise, but its funny how much I miss her when I am away from her.
Having said that, a girl needs to hustle and get business back to what it was, so I am back to the grind, doing the meetings, the fashion shows, the deals and it feels good.

Of course, it was all about weddings last week. Like most of the world, I was glued to the TV catching re-runs of the royal wedding that seemed to have all my friends floored. It really was a beautiful ceremony and was so nice to watch this couple get wed. Can you believe that this couple had to get married in front of 2 billion people! It is bad enough when a bride has to have things go her way just for 150 people. In no way did our 'commoner' Kate look like she had a moment of being a bridezilla at all. She seemed so regal, calm and serene. Like the fashion critics, I agree, she got the dress right and she just looked stunning. I loved, loved, loved her Cartier tiara and even though I do not know her personally, I found myself crying at how wonderful the ceremony was and how beautiful it all turned out. I was just..sniff...sooo...sniff...happy!!

I wonder how her mother felt, when she was born and she cradled her in her arms, did she ever think that this little girl would be the next queen of England? I made sure I watched the pomp and glamor with my lil munchkin, because, as I explained to her, this could her future family too. (A mother can dream)

Aside from that there was a wedding in the family that I had to be a part of. You could call it a shotgun wedding, which is fine by me. Each to their own. Of course, when the event came around there was so much excitement and fun about it that during the evening party a woman fainted and my gut instinct was to run to her and try and help. I opened a bottle of water and put a little in her mouth and was yelled at by someone who was standing by her legs. 'NEVER EVER DO THAT TO SOMEONE WHO HAS FAINTED' he boomed. Err, all I was doing was trying to help. I wanted to ask him who on earth he thought he was and wanted to add 'are you a doctor?'. Turned out he was a doctor and in retrospect I should not have assumed that the lady was thirsty. I guess his yelling at me made him feel he was helping her more. Whatever floats your boat dude! I would hate for him to give me bad news in a hospital - can you imagine? Anyways, that did not stop me from dancing the night away.

I started to think about my wedding and how I got married and what I would do differently. I think all wives wish they had done something different on their day. I mean as times change so do themes and decor ideas and cakes and wedding dresses (case in point compare Dianas dress to Kates dress..world's apart). There are so many things available now that I would need thousands nah...millions of dollars to redo my wedding. I think it was the way it was meant to be though. But I would have loved to have done it in Vegas or just taken 70 people to the beach and worn a white bikini a la Pamela Anderson.

I have already started planning Ariyanas wedding, if you are a mom you get it! I know exactly how I want it to be. But I have to remember one thing, it is not my wedding - I will have  to respect her wishes and allow her to plan it the way she would want it - what would make her happy. Someone told me something that still rings true - weddings are mostly for the parents of the bride and the groom, if the couple are OK with that then they can let their parents take over. Otherwise the best thing is to just do it your way because 5 years later, unless you are Kate and Will, no one will really remember what YOUR day was like.
Also you will be stuck with your wedding album for life and you have to be able to look at the photos and feel really, really happy because that was exactly the way you wanted it to be.

I was given some fantastic advice when I got hitched; be in the moment, and that is advice I can only pass on to future brides. Sometimes we get so caught up in the silly stuff that weddings are made of that we forget who was there and when you think about it the memories are like a blur and super vague. Be in the moment, soak it up and enjoy - the moment will never come back so treasure it and enjoy!

No comments: