Thursday, March 17, 2011

Oh, you like my merc? Here are the keys, enjoy...

I watched a film the other day, it had nothing to do with anything, but after the movie I really missed my dad. I don't know what triggered it, but I thought of him with tears in my eyes after a long time.

When I was younger things were very different, the world was not as money minded as it is today. You may have had money, but you would never show it off. Today, it is all about what you have in terms of a car, where you live (do you own or rent), what phone you use, what jewelry you wear, what designer brands you wear and where you holiday. God forbid you don't 'holiday'!! Madonna was some sort of prophet when she sang material world - 20 years too early.
You know, my father was a very wealthy man! Lord help me, the dude was loaded!! When we moved out of our house that we lived in for 28 years - we came across his bank statements from the 70's - the dude had a million dollars in his accounts. A million dollars at that time?  The dude was on point, he was shrewd and he had foresight. I still try and emulate him in any which way I can, but he left HUGE shoes to fill! So what happened? Well, in a nutshell, mum was not business savvy - she trusted people and had such a giving heart - so she gave. She bailed people out of jail and put our house down as security - the money was never paid back, we lost our house. She gave people millions of dollars to start up businesses for their children or themselves and when she went through a hard time those same people turned to her and said 'what money?'

I don't care. Sure, it would be great to be living large on my fathers money (which is what lots of people do) but I always say those millions were not for me. My father worked hard - he took care of his family  and his extended families and you know what, I say hats off to him. He probably did not know he would die so young, he had plans and he did look out for us. Definitely, my brothers and I were trust fund babies, but again - we 'trusted', we were used, misused and spat out! Too bad. If you know me, I do not play victim!

What pisses me off though is the people who stood by our sides when times were awesome. They were in our lives and constantly in our faces, are the same people who walk away when they see us today. My father housed some people, those people did not even make it to come and see my daughter (you know, too much traffic now-a-days!). My father educated some families and well, lets just say that they are kind of busy to remember. I don't mind, you have a short memory - it comes with old agel! But sometimes, some people make you wonder - I remember meeting one of my dads 'very good friends' at Westgate and he stopped me to tell me what a big hearted man dad was. 'You know, he gave me a mercedes...' he rambled on. He gave you a mercedes????? And your brother was the same lawyer who was suing me in court??????? Jeez louise!!! Where the F do people get off?

I just thought I would share. I think it goes a long way to have a big heart. I always go on and on about karma, but it is a fact - you do good and good will come your way - you forget, then you, sadly, will be forgotten. A friend of mine who lives in LA was telling me about leaving a legacy. I believe that is what papa did. He left a legacy that almost 30 years after his demise, he is still remembered.

But if you take advice from blogs, just remember to remember.

2 comments:

kiran said...

Your papa and( my brother) had the biggest ever heart and ! and no one shall ever be like him....he was a self made man and oh, so generous!and yes it is so easy to blame others for our misfortunes but it's all karma! I'm sure we all got it from him to be above all that..... so go and remember him for the wonderful father , husband and brother that he was and most of all he was a wonderful son to my mother. I thank God everyday for for an awesome brothers I had and have.....and Yes he Was taken away way too soon from us and most of all from you, his children....remember him like a wonderful soul that he was...they don't make them anymore!

Ninareisay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.