Sunday, July 10, 2011

Bumped off Al Jaz for the PM

Hello there!
It has been a minute since I last posted a blog - and so much has been going on..

Let's see where do I start? Hmmmm...Ok let's see, so a friend of mine approached me to film a TV show, she explained the whole idea of it, and I thought yaiy, sounds fun and agreed to jump on board. Call time was 6am, which for me means 6am and for everyone else meant 8.30am. Of course, I showed up at 6 and did nothing for a while accept eat breakfast and chat to the crew who must have thought "oh goodness she is eager..."
Anyway, we filmed 3 shows at a go, and it was super fun. I cannot say much about it, yes I was given a 10 page contract, but I don't think it said that there was a confidentiality agreement, but still, I have been in the biz a long while to know that there are some things you can say and some things you wait to be said.

What else? Oh yah, I organised the 2nd annual Fashion And Beauty expo at Westgate Shopping Mall. Wow! The turn out this year was super and the exhibitors were fantastic. Again, I have been in the event planning business long enough to know that you cannot please everybody! But I am open to listen to constructive critics, not haters! Reason the event is put together is because I am a shop-a-holic and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I need not travel EVERYTIME I need to be trendy! It helps when you want the genuine designer stuff, but when you want to just go for a fad - here is a tip, buy it cheap because it ain't going to last! So here I am surfing the net and I see all sorts of Divas (a female version of a hustler as Beyonce put it) with these online stores and the trendiest bits in town. I would have loved to have hogged them but it makes sense to expose them to my fellow fashionistas. Then there is, of course, the local designers, who produce some stunning stuff.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, FAB is supposed to be a platform for everything available in Fashion And Beauty in Kenya.
Nana Gacega wrote a wonderful piece in The Star on Saturday - she, like me, loves to shop and she totally embraced the idea.
Anyway, while chatting FAB here are some sites to check out if you want to get your online shopping on;
www.2nu.co.ke
www.avid-style.com
www.fabguru.co.ke
www.silkdreams.co.ke
And if you are crazy about all things FAB, look out for www.fab.co.ke that will be launched real soon.

I got a call from a strange number and answered it and it  was Al Jazeera. They had heard of the charity work I do and wanted to interview me on a show called 'the Cafe'. Of course I said yes. They then sent me a series of emails about who what and when and asked me to answer all sorts of questions. I was pretty impressed with myself that my work would get acknowledgement and my opinion mattered. Last night I got another call from the same number telling me I had been bumped off the show as they would rather interview the PM, Mr. Odinga himself. Of course they would! Blah! But they have kept me on file for the next one.

So while all this is going on in my world, Ariyana is busy growing, and my oh my she has. I never knew 9 months would pass this quick and they have. The girl already has a mind of her own and is making me use all my energy on chasing her all over the house has she crawls. The other day she took two steps on her own without the help of anyone and I cried. Hey! Am a mama, and I had full right to cry. That is a day I will always remember. I keep wondering what sort of a person she will become. Honestly, this is the time I really value my mother, what an amazing job she did - as in, educated us, holiday-ed us, fed us, clothed us, etc and made it look pretty effortless.
I also look at Rajs parents and value them too. There was a time there when I thought I knew everything, but being a parent opens your eyes to a different world and humbles you in a way.

Speaking of Rajs parents, they are in India as we speak and I ask you to send Rajs dad a bit of healing energy (if you believe in that, otherwise just say a quick prayer for him) as he has been unwell and is under going medical treatment. Thank you for that.

The African Winter is in full swing, it is freaking freezing here in Nairobi and I have my heater on - thank goodness KPLC have not cut the power, as they do in our pretty city, whimsically I am sure! My tooth is sore so I have to get my ass to the dentists office, it is something I have been putting off for the longest and it's Monday (is that a good or a bad thing? For me makes no difference)

Oh by the way, I have become a bit addicted to Twitter and my friend DJ Gupz and I are learning how to Airplank courtesty of the guru himself, Suede. Follow us on twitter to find out more..
@pinkyghelani
@iamsuede
@Gupzsaund

Have a wonderful week and thanks for reading (and commenting) on the blog
ps..next one I am going to tell you about a Jewellery collection that I designed... FUN

No comments: