Monday, January 17, 2011

Life's a beach

I love the ocean. There is something very calming about being seaside.
Every year in January my husband and I celebrate our wedding anniversary. We made a pact that we would avoid the December holiday madness and stay in Nairobi during that time and instead travel during our anniversary. Poor guy, hubby darling, in December he has to bear with my shopping sprees and my need to entertain. In January he has to take me on 'our honeymoon' as I still refer to it, to the coast - because it is a nice time to be there and I love being by the beach (did I already mention that?). In February he has to deal with Valentine's Day (oh yes, I celebrate it!) and then three days after that my birthday!

Yes, I would like to be one of those girls who settle for a rose or an I love you as a gift, but if you know me, then you know that I am high maintenance when it comes to celebrations. Buy me gifts, spoil and pamper me, go crazy and surprise me, feel free and go all out and spend every last penny, I love the WOW factor! Don't get me wrong, I am not a person who is all take take take, I give as well. Ask him; I buy him something for Xmas, and then our anniversary, I spoil him on the day of love and make sure his birthday is memorable gift wise. I am all about quality and quantity. I take time planning, shopping and wrapping. The thing about Raj, he is simple. He would love a rose or an I love you just fine. He is adorable because whatever I do for him (even if it is S***) he smiles, thanks me from the bottom of his heart and pretends to love it.
More often than not, I get it right!

Raj and I have not had a beach holiday for about two years now. Reason; we moved out two years ago and suddenly we realised we had bills to pay! Forget about pay cheque, how about reality check!! Then I got pregnant and the doctor advised that I not travel during the pregnancy given my history. So Raj said to me that he would take us (his baby and I) on a nice long holiday to enjoy the sun and the sea when baby was old enough. What a coincidence she was old enough to travel during our anniversary.

As much as it all fell into place, Raj, my lovely loverson, went to play hockey, as he does every Friday evening and on that fateful evening, he split his thumb, got 4 stitches and fractured his thumb. Ouchie! I felt bad for him (although am sure he did it on purpose!). He is in pain and was told it would take at least  6 weeks to heal. So our holiday plans went to pot. Not because he said so, oh no! Au contraire, Raj is such a super guy, he insisted he take me on holiday - he said he would chill by the pool with baby, he didn't have to swim!
Raj hurt his right hand, he can barely carry his baby at the moment, let alone my bags full of my bikinis and now a pushchair and a diaper bag. I could not possibly ask that of him..or could I?

I may be selfish to some extent, but I just thought that it would totally be unfair. Also, I didn't see it being much of a holiday for me considering I would be doing all the lugging and carrying to and fro (selfish, me? never!!!). So we called it off for a later date - he owes me BIG time - I hear Jamaica is beautiful in June. Truth of the matter is, I am in my ideal place for this time, Nairobi weather is enjoyable and I have a pool right outside my home, my baby is who I spend my days with, my two dogs give me so much joy and I don't really have to be anywhere at any particular time. This is my ideal holiday, what more could I ask for? Ah yes the beach, for that I have my imagination. Shhh...Just don't tell Raj.

No comments: